Rod Licence

Rod Licence

Anyone aged 12 years up to 17 who fishes for salmon,
trout, freshwater fish or eels in England or Wales must
have a valid Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence this licence is currently f.o.c upon application to the E.A.

Rod Licences are available from every Post Office in
England & Wales or direct from the Environment Agency.                                                       Failure to produce a valid licence could result in prosecution                                                 and a fine of up to £2500.

A Rod Licence does not give you permission to fish,
therefore you also need the permission from the owner of
the water before you start fishing.

A rod licence does not give you the right to take fish from
any water. This will depend on local byelaws and you must
have permission from the owner of the water where you are
fishing. Anybody caught taking fish without permission is
liable to  prosecution under the Theft Act.

Fishing Close Seasons:- All rivers in Wales and England                                                     operate a “close season” from 15th March to 16th June                                                         during which all fishing is banned.

Fishing close seasons exist on all rivers and streams in the
UK. The times of these close seasons vary locally and you
are advised to contact your local Environment Agency
office for more details. For canals and still waters – this
includes all lakes and ponds – you must contact the owner
to check if there is a close season on their waters.

Please contact the Environment Agency
Click here to link to the Environment Agency
for more details if you are unsure of the close seasons
on any water.